In this photo from 1945 a young Oral Roberts is shown attending his denomination's general conference, held in Oklahoma City that year. Roberts is shown in the lower right corner framed by the ladies in the hats. At the opposite corner is the young entrepreneurial minister, R.O. Corvin, who would be in the next year the first president of Southwestern Christian University (then located at 5000 NW 10th).
In 1945, the Pentecostal Holiness Church meet in conference at the Oklahoma City First Church. This church had begun in 1907 in the old 'Blue Front Saloon', 7 West Grand. It later moved to 423 West California and in 1945 was located at 2046 E. 2nd Street. In 1950, they relocated to 1701 N.W. 7th (9th and Blackwelder) under the leadership of pastor, the Rev. S.N. Greene. The church, the First Pentecostal Holiness Church, was historic in being one of the first pentecostal churches in Oklahoma. It is believed this image shows the church at 2046 E. 2nd in Oklahoma City.
Author and descendent Kelvin Rector is on a mission to share the surpring mosaic piece which helps to complete our knowledge of Oklahoma during the pre-statehood days, the impact of racism, the power of greed for oil and the wealth it represented, and the urge to manipulate society and some its members in order grasp that power away.