The original Church of God congregation in Guthrie, Oklahoma was formed in 1905 by an ex-slave, George Winn according to Wikipedia. It soon became and remained one of the largest churches of the group.
George W. Winn was born around 1848 in Georgia. On the 1890 and 1900 census he was residing around Woodland in Logan County, Oklahoma. Later he is living in Guthrie township proper. He indicated his parents had been born in Tennessee but by 1910 he, or someone else, responded with Georgia. His wife was Caroline, also called Carrie, and was born about 1854 in Georgia or Kansas. According to the census children included George (b.1877, Texas), Anna (b.1879, Texas), Carol (b.1884, Ks.), Stafford (b.1886, Ks.), Calvin (b. Ks), Eddie B. (b.Ks.).
In 1910 George listed his occupation as "preacher" and employer as "church." He died in 1945 after many long years and his verbal testimonies were often recalled as he thanked God and recounted life back to when he was a slave.