3/19/10

Autograph Book: Minnie Crandall, 1879



In the middle of the 1960's my mother came home with a small brown autograph book acquired at a local 'second-hand' store in Wellington, Kansas. The inscription on the inside read: 'Minnie M. Crandall a present from her brother H.LeMonde Crandell, Christmas Eve 1879". Her inscription reads: " To my friends, March 12, 1880. My album is a garden spot/Where all of my friends may sow/ Where thorns and thistles flourish not/ But flowers from above may grow/ with smiles for sunshine, tears for showers/ I'll water and guard these flowers. Minnie."

Based on the information gleaned from the volume itself I went to the Federal census records and located in 1880 a Minnie M. Crandall residing in Genese, Allegany Co., NY. She was listed in the home of James H. Crandall, 45, b. New York, and had family listed including a brother matching the signature inscription of H. LeMonde Crandall in one Henry L. Crandall, aged 22, b. in New York and a younger brother named Ira, aged 12.


No comments:

I Write Like...

I write like
H. P. Lovecraft

I Write Like. Analyze your writing!

Expanded and Revised Edition

Expanded and Revised Edition
Coming Soon!